Next match

Team logo
Farnborough (A)
Sat Sep 23

Next match

Team logo
Farnborough (A)
Sat Sep 23 15:00
The Vanarama National League South

Single Goal Enough For Maidenhead

| League
Att: 3500
Slough Town
0 - 1
Maidenhead United
Hewitt (19)
For the return game at the Dolphin on Boxing Day the teams were the same as on Christmas Day. A much larger crowd was attracted, round about 3500 spectators being present; Maidenhead had no lack of support, as over 1000 went from Maidenhead.

Slough again won the toss and opened to the Uxbridge Road goal. They started strongly, and Lee sent wide in the first minute. However, Maidenhead got into their stride and forced a corner which Gibbins placed for Rose to return a centre, which Barton headed over.

At the other end following an exciting burst of play, Tatton shot wide, but Maidenhead replied and a nice move by Pilgrim and Gibbins enabled Barton to send in a grand first-timer, which was an inch too high. Exchanges were fast and Slough attacked strongly, Cridland making a smart clearance from Harman's centre. Cox then gave Tatton a through pass which the latter sent high over.

For Maidenhead, Hewitt got clean through, but Luff left his charge and effected a smart clearance by taking the ball from the centre-forward's toe. Gibbins got in a centre and Rose landed the ball on top of the net; the same player sent over, Poole charged down two quick shots from Rose, and Payne did likewise from Barnes.

A smart raid to the other end saw Stanley cleverly check Cox, but the Slough goal was again visite, where Poole smartly headed out a shot from Gibbins.

Maidenhead took the lead after 19 minutes play. Payne failed to stop a smart burst by the forwards, and left Copas unmarked: "Captain" overstepped the ball, but Hewitt followed up and beat Luff with a hard drive.

This roused Slough to great efforts. Cox sent Lee away, but James saved well, Harman hit the net-side after a nice effort, a corner was forced off Cridland, which was headed out, Poole returning the ball over the bar. James saved well from Morris, Harman shot on top of the net and Morris missed by inches.

The Maidenhead goal then had a lucky escape when a shot from Tatton beat James but Stanley kicked clear as the ball was about to cross the goal-line.

Excitement was intense and the football served up was fine. James was frequently in action, and disposed of shots from Poole, Cox, and Tatton, in fine style.

Maidenhead also were alert, and gave Luff some anxious moments. Barton twice went close, and Copas hit the net-side, while Luff had two handfulls to deal with from Rose and Barton.

At the interval Maidenhead led by one goal to nil.

For the first twenty minutes of the second half Slough ran riot over Maidenhead - until they got to Stanley. The Maidenhead right back played magnificently, and time and time again extricated Maidenhead from some awkward situations.

James was seldom seriously troubled, so well did the Maidenhead backs and halves play, though occasionally shots came his way. The only really critical time for Maidenhead was when Cox and Snow sent in quick shots and a desperate struggle ensued in the goalmouth, until Stanley emerged to clear the ball.

Maidenhead gradually asserted themselves, and the Slough goal had two escapes when Luff came out to stop Hewitt, lost the ball, and Rose was left with an open goal, but a defender just managed to divert the ball for a corner.

A similar incident occurred when Hewitt charged Luff off the ball and Copas had a shot at an open goal deflected. Play never lost interest, although the fast-fading light made it difficult to follow the ball. Slough tried very hard to obtain an equaliser, but could not overcome the magnificent defence offered by Maidenhead, who won the points by the only goal scored.

Maidenhead United Line up


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2023