Rebels’ FA Cup run ends at Grimsby

Grimsby Town

Grimsby Town

Pyke (7, 45), Rose (16), Gnahoua (65, 85), Hunt (81), Andrews (86)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Dyce (20), Ogbonna (34)
FA Cup Attendance: 3079
A comprehensive victory for the Mariners in Tuesday evening’s First Round replay ended the Rebels' Emirates FA Cup dreams, writes Freddie Gatrell.

Despite an impressive first-half showing from Slough, it was not to be the Rebels' day at Blundell Park, as EFL League Two outfit Grimsby Town showed their quality and intensity in what ended as a comfortable evening for the hosts.

Despite the unflattering scoreline, Scott Davies’ side was not dominated in the manner it may initially appear, as Grimsby ran in three late goals against a tiring Slough side which saw the premature departures of Temi Eweka, Scott Davies and Leon Chambers-Parillon due to injuries.

An early spell of dominance for the hosts saw Arthur Gnahoua fire an effort on Rohan Luthra’s goal, which deflected kindly into the path of Rekeil Pyke, who had the simple task of making it 1-0 on seven minutes. Temi Eweka was substituted directly after conceding, having sustained an injury.

The hosts continued to make themselves a nuisance from corners, with Mariners forward Danny Rose finishing at the far post to make it 2-0 in the 16th minute.

The hosts’ second goal appeared to awaken the Rebels. Only three minutes later, good work from Slough resulted in a corner after Chambers-Parillon’s shot deflected on to the roof of the net. The resulting kick was expertly delivered by Matt Lench, finding the head of Tyrese Dyce, who finished into the bottom corner to give a lifeline to the Rebels.

The Grimsby lead was completely erased come the 34th minute, thanks to brilliant play from Johnny Goddard down the left-hand side. His low cross caused confusion in the box thanks in part to the persistence of Mickel Platt, and David Ogbonna took a touch and slotted home to make it 2-2 in front of the jubilant travelling supporters.

With this spell of dominance, Slough deserved to go into the break with the scores tied, but the Mariners punished the Rebels from another corner right before half time, with Pyke heading home his second of the evening at the far post.

Slough came out fighting in the second half, looking much more comfortable than the first, with Grimsby continuously giving away sloppy free kicks.

Grimsby looked set to stretch their lead when Andrews slid a great ball through the middle for Pyke, but the assistant referee’s flag went up to deny him a hat-trick.

Five minutes into the second half, a Matt Lench set piece caused all sorts of problems, resulting in a frantic goalmouth scramble with Grimsby eventually managing to clear the ball to safety.

Then five minutes later, a brilliant effort from Goddard was denied by an excellent goal line clearance from Danny Rose after an indecisive punch clear by goalkeeper Cartwright.

The sucker-punch for the Rebels came in the 65th minute, with the troublesome Gnahoua finding the bottom corner, very much against the run of play.

Six minutes later, a crunching challenge on Scott Davies meant the end of the Slough player-manager’s evening on the field.

Despite a 73rd-minute triple substitution by Davies, Grimsby made their superior fitness count, with Alex Hunt making it 5-2 in the 81st minute with a low finish after hold-up play by Gnahoua.

Then, further goals from Gnahoua and Jamie Andrews in the final few minutes spelled the end of the road for Davies’ men.

Next up for the Rebels is a home tie against Farnborough in the Isuzu FA Trophy on Saturday, where Slough will be hopeful of returning to winning ways at Arbour Park.

Grimsby Town Lineup

Cartwright, Mullarkey, Waterfall, Maher, Holohan (Wilson 64), Green, (Conteh 77), Andrews, Amos (Driscoll-Glennon 57), Rose (Hunt 77), Pyke (Ainley 77), Gnahoua. Unused substitutes: Rodgers, Eastwood, Gardner, Bramwell.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024