Rebels progress in FA Trophy

Slough Town

Slough Town

Minhas (45), Goddard (67)


Kuhl (47)
FA Trophy Attendance: 631 Johnny Goddard
A stunner from Johnny Goddard saw Slough Town progress into the Third Round of the Isuzu FA Trophy with a professional 2-1 victory against Farnborough, writes Freddie Gatrell.

In what was a slow first 45 minutes for the Rebels, chances were at a premium for both sides. Early efforts from Leon Chambers-Parillon and Tyrese Dyce were squandered, with Scott Davies fielding a heavily rotated side for the clash. Injury prevented him from playing, as well as Temi Eweka and Dan Bayliss, who suffered a tight groin in the warm-up. Joe Dandy came in to start his first game for 11 weeks, partnering Jeanmal Prosper in a makeshift defence, whilst Dan Lincoln made his debut in goal.

Farnborough saw early efforts from Taylor Mahoney, Ricky Holmes and Michael Folivi not taken, much to the frustration of their travelling support. Dan Lincoln impressed throughout the tie, making crucial saves to prevent the hosts striking first.

The biggest chance in the first half fell to Slough on the 45 minute mark, with a Dyce throw in finding the feet of Nathan Minhas, who won the physical battle against Ollie Robinson before showing great control to drive toward goal and fire the ball past Jack Turner from close range at his near post.

The second half was quite the contrast from the first, with chances galore for both sides. Farnborough took no time in restoring parity in the tie, with Aaron Kuhl tapping in from close range against his former club.

Despite this early goal from Farnborough, it did not appear to help their performance against the Rebels, with the visitors finding it hard to stem the flow of Slough’s attacks, with frequent fouls on the Slough front line.

Aaron Kuhl swiftly went from Farnborough hero to villain, with the referee deeming the midfielder to have handled 25 yards out, in a dangerous position on goal. Slough regained the lead in the tie thanks to a stunning free kick from Goddard, who whipped the ball deliciously over the Farnborough wall and past a helpless Turner.

Farnborough will feel unlucky not to have made it two goals apiece late in the second half, with a wonderful close range save from new signing Dan Lincoln preventing a certain goal for the visitors. A mix up in the box allowed Connor Hall the space to head the ball goalwards, but Lincoln’s acrobatic leap was enough to claw the ball from the top right corner.

Farnborough’s day got even worse as they were forced to finish the tie with 10 men, after full-back Jordan Norville-Williams picked up a second yellow card in the space of a few minutes for a clumsy challenge on David Ogbonna, leaving Slough with a comfortable finish to the tie.

Slough could have added a third with minutes to play, with second half substitutes Ollie Spicer and debutant, Gary Abisogun combining nicely, with Spicer’s pass leaving Abisogun with a chance on goal but the winger’s effort was well stopped by Turner.

This win means the Rebels return to winning ways, progressing into Monday’s Third Round draw. Next up for the Rebels is a return to league action, with a tie against Havant & Waterlooville under the lights of Arbour Park this coming Tuesday.

Farnborough Lineup

Turner, Norville-Williams, Robinson (c), Folivi, Young (Cullen 46), Pendlebury, Maloney (Ball 46), Saied (Hall 73), Kuhl, Holmes, Nelson. Unused substitutes: Mekki, Perez.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024