Slough hold leaders Yeovil to goalless draw

Slough Town

Slough Town

Yeovil Town

Yeovil Town

League Attendance: 1533 Matthew Lench
A strong defensive performance from both sides led to a stalemate between Slough Town and National League South league leaders, Yeovil Town, writes Joey Gargini.

Slough came into the game on the back of a disappointing 2-1 loss away at Havant & Waterlooville and looked to bounce back with a result against table-topping Yeovil Town. The Glovers defeated the Rebels 3-1 at Huish Park earlier in the season but came to Arbour Park to play Scott Davies’ side, who were unbeaten in their last 18 home games and looking for revenge.

It was a cagey first half as both sides struggled to stamp dominance over the other in Davies’ 200th appearance for the Rebels.

The first meaningful chance of the game came from a Yeovil corner in the 12th minute. Jay Foulston whipped the ball in, which found the head of Jake Wannell, whose effort was directed straight into the hands of Rebels goalkeeper, Dan Lincoln.

In the 29th minute, Alex Fisher found a way past Davies and into a situation between himself, Temi Eweka, and Dan Lincoln. Eweka kept himself composed and pressured the Glovers striker off-balance who took a strike which was deflected behind for a corner. Ten minutes later, Yeovil captain Matthew Worthington took possession of a loose ball in the centre of the pitch. He dribbled the ball to the edge of the area and lofted a shot straight at Lincoln.

The second half began a different story to the first with Slough having the better chances of the two teams. In the 54th minute, Nathan Minhas won a free-kick, 20 yards from goal after being held by Jake Wannell. Davies stepped up but his effort was hit with too much power and flew well over Joe Day’s goal.

Slough continued their strong start to the half with Eweka almost nodding home in the 60th minute. Matt Lench crossed in a ball with pace from a wide free kick, with the ball finding its way to the back post and onto the head of Eweka, whose bullet header was well held by Day.

The game began to open up deep into the second half, with both sides looking more likely to score.

In the 80th minute, a Slough corner found Jeanmal Prosper at the front post, who flicked the ball into the centre of the box. A mix-up led to a clearance from the Yeovil defence but only as far as Matt Lench, who skilfully rounded his marker and unleashed a stinging strike, which was well parried by Day.

The game’s final chance came from a Rebels attack. In the 85th minute, substitute Trae Cook-Appiah manoeuvred himself into a dangerous position on the left side of the Yeovil box. Unable to get a clear shot at goal, he impressively recycled the chance by laying the ball off to captain Josh Jackman, whose shot from the edge of the area flew past the post and narrowly wide of the bottom right corner.

A draw extends Slough’s unbeaten home run to 19 games and leaves the Rebels in 11th place and eight points off the playoffs with a game in hand over 7th-placed St. Albans City. Slough Town’s next game is against relegation-threatened Eastbourne Borough on Non-League Day next Saturday, where Scott Davies’ men will aim to extend their impressive record at Arbour Park.

Image: Tom Featherstone

Yeovil Town Lineup

Joe Day, Morgan Williams, Alex Whittle (Jordan Young 65), Jake Wannell, Jordan Stevens (Jahmari Clarke 60), Matt Worthington, Alex Fisher (Sam Pearson 79), Brooklyn Genesini, Charlie Cooper, Frank Nouble, Jay Foulston. Unused substitutes: Dylan Morgan, Sonny Blu Lo-Everton.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024