Ogbonna hits stunner in home win

Slough Town

Slough Town

Minhas (1), Goddard (pen 17), Ogbonna (44)


Box (6, 30)
League Attendance: 659 David Ogbonna
Slough Town extended their unbeaten run at home to 18 games, as well as moving within three points of the play-off places with victory against Dartford, writes Joey Gargini.

All the goals came in an action-packed first half, with a stunning strike from David Ogbonna proving to be decisive in the end.

The game began with almost instant celebrations from the home side. A long throw was flicked on well by Dan Bayliss in the centre of the 18-yard box, which found the head of Nathan Minhas, who gave the Rebels the lead after only 41 seconds. An almost carbon copy of his goal against Chippenham Town last Saturday, the strike brought his goal tally to 14 for the season.

Dartford took no time in netting an equaliser though, only five minutes later. 18-year-old Darts youngster Ollie Box sprinted past Scott Davies, who slipped as he tried to stop him, drove towards goal and curled the ball past Hugo Sobte into the bottom right corner.

David Ogbonna proved a nightmare for the away side’s defence all game. His first moment of influence came in the 17th minute where he twisted and turned past Dartford’s fullback, who pulled him back and gave away a penalty kick for his troubles. Up stepped Johnny Goddard and although goalkeeper Billy Terrell got a strong left hand on the ball, it still found the back of the net to regain the Rebels’ advantage.

Slough once again failed to keep their lead for long. A dangerous cross from the right side of the box found its way to the feet of the dangerous Box. Despite Sobte’s best efforts, it wasn’t enough to prevent Dartford from registering their second goal of the game in the 30th minute.

Despite being pegged back on two occasions, Slough continued to bombard the Darts’ defence.

In the 42nd minute, the Rebels won a foul just outside the box in a central area. Scott Davies stepped up with a low and hard effort that dipped under the wall but was met by the palms of Terrell.

Just before the half-time interval, the Rebels' perseverance was rewarded with a goal from Ogbonna. In the 44th minute, a ball in from the right was allowed to bounce in the box, falling to Ogbonna who sent a thunderous drive into the top left corner to edge Slough back into the lead.

The second half started positively for Scott Davies' men when a direct long ball from goalkeeper Sobte in the 49th minute found Minhas, who combined with Goddard and Christie Ward to find full-back Josh Jackman, who arrived at the back post but his strike rose over the bar.

Moments later, an excellently delivered Matt Lench corner entered the box and connected with a bullet header from Temi Eweka, but the effort was straight into the gloves of Terrell.

In the 63rd minute, Dartford had their biggest chance to restore parity in the tie. Luke Coulson’s wicked delivery from a free kick was latched onto by Joash Nembhard. His header looked a certain goal but a world-class Hugo Sobte save prevented the effort from finding the top right corner.

The latter stages of the game were closely fought, with both teams tussling for possession of the ball.

A Joash Nembhard straight red card in the 87th minute aided Scott Davies’ men, the defender pulling back Minhas who was clean through on goal.

The Rebels will now look towards an away game against Tonbridge Angels this Saturday.

Dartford Lineup

Terrell, Wynter (Maloney 75), Smith (Adebowale 89), Nembhard, Rooney, Romain, Coulson, Shomotun (Wall 85), Box, Clifford, Statham. Unused substitutes: Whitefield, Hobbs.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024