Spasov strikes in stoppage time to rescue Boxing Day point

Slough Town

Slough Town

Sundire (17), Minhas (21), Spasov (90+8)
Hampton & Richmond

Hampton & Richmond

Gray (67), Seymour (79), Bloomfield (84)
League Attendance: 1008 David Ogbonna
Slavi Spasov’s equalising goal deep into second half stoppage time rescued a point for Slough Town and ensured the Rebels’ unbeaten home run in all competitions stretched to 13 matches.

As the second half entered its eighth minute of additional time, Matt Lench launched a hopeful long throw into the penalty area which Dan Bayliss flicked on - and substitute Spasov was in the right place at the right time to poke a composed effort goalwards which Adam Desbois got a hand to, but couldn’t keep out.

It was the least the Rebels deserved after a thrilling Boxing Day contest in which Slough had taken a 2-0 half time lead, only for Hampton & Richmond to score three times in the second half to turn the game on its head - and the visitors looked to have the three points in the bag with five minutes of regulation time remaining.

The visiting Beavers arrived at Arbour Park on a fine run themselves, having gone 15 matches unbeaten in National League South, a sequence which has seen them climb to second place in the table.

But Slough were in no mood to allow their visitors an easy ride, and set about taking the game to the high-flying Beavers.

Slough had the better of the overall play and chances in the opening quarter of an hour, with wide man David Ogbonna finding space down the right. Hampton were limited to long balls as Bloomfield and Seymour worked hard to gain ground at the other end.

And the Rebels’ first shot on target gave them a deserved lead. The hosts won possession and Ogbonna cut in from the left, finding Mickel Platt. The initial shot was scuffed with the striker off-balance, but the ball was deflected to the edge of the box, where Munashe Sundire fired through a crowd of bodies and saw his heavily deflected shot beat Desbois - his first goal for the club.

Just a few minutes later the lead was doubled - and again Ogbonna was instrumental. This time his cut-back caused mass confusion in the Hampton box, which allowed Platt to get a shot at goal. His effort hit both crossbar and post, but Nathan Minhas was there to head the ball in to an empty net.

Slough could have gone into the half time break with a far healthier lead, with Minhas spurning a golden chance in the final minute of the half. A long ball down the pitch put the striker clean through on goal after a Hampton attack broke down but Desbois did well to block his effort.

Minutes later, in stoppage time Desbois produced another excellent save to keep the visitors in the game. Sundire’s ball across goal was perfect for Ogbonna to strike goalwards, and Desbois reacted quickly to save. The rebound fell to Platt, who could only head over the bar.

Platt, who departs for Australia in early January would be forced to depart the pitch early in the second half with an injury, and Spasov replaced him.

Slough kept looking for a third goal, with Jeanmal Prosper rising highest to head a Sundire cross goalwards, but straight at Desbois.

Hampton began to assert themselves on the game and created their first real chance of the half on 64 minutes with Ruaridh Donaldson’s through ball finding Ben Seymour in the box - but Slough defended well as the number nine’s shot was blocked.

However just a couple of minutes later the visitors did gain a foothold in the game. Half time substitute Anifowose burst into the box, beating two Slough players. His deflected shot landed at the feet of Jake Gray, whose effort was also deflected and deceived Dan Lincoln as it made its way into the net.

Slough went straight on the attack with Ogbonna bursting through and running at the heart of the Beavers defence, but Desbois was equal to his fierce strike at the near post.

With 76 minutes on the clock, Donaldson forced Lincoln into a save, with the ball immediately cleared up the pitch. It caught the Hampton defence off-guard as Minhas found himself through on goal once more, but this time he missed the target as the ball cleared the crossbar.

And in this action-packed second half, Hampton made Slough pay for their misses as they equalised through Ben Seymour. Donaldson’s delivery from the left in the 78th minute was headed in neatly by Seymour at the near post, who had got in front of his man.

Things went from bad to worse for Slough in the 85th minute when Rob Hall’s corner was flicked onto the boot of Mason Bloomfield, who got the crucial touch to put the Beavers in front for the first time.

But Slough kept the pressure on against the now ten-man visitors - Sam Deadfield having been forced off with a broken nose - and Spasov’s first Slough goal was just reward for the Rebels’ efforts.

The two teams meet again on New Year’s Day at Beveree Stadium in another 1pm kickoff.

Hampton & Richmond Lineup

Desbois, Thomas, Donaldson, Seymour, Gray (c), Deadfield, Hunt, Dreyer, Wishart, Pitblado, Bloomfield. Substitutes: Hall, Whittingham, Dunne, Revan, Anifowose.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024