Rebels defeated at league leaders

Yeovil Town

Yeovil Town

Worthington (48), Young (54), Nouble (pen 82)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Bayliss (70)
League Attendance: 2902
Top of the table Yeovil Town proved too much for Slough Town on Tuesday night, despite a wonderful second half strike from Dan Bayliss, writes Freddie Gatrell.

In an eventful match under the lights of Huish Park, it was runaway league leaders Yeovil Town that condemned the Rebels to a 3-1 defeat and opened up a 13-point lead at the top in the process.

The first half was an evenly matched affair, with chances coming freely for both sides. Within 13 minutes the Rebels had already tested Joe Day on two occasions. The first came from the left flank, with Tyrese Dyce’s cross almost squeezing over the head of the Glovers’ shot stopper. Moments later a Matt Lench free kick found the head of Temi Eweka, whose headed effort clattered the crossbar.

After surviving the early Rebels onslaught, it was the hosts’ turn to threaten the Slough back-line, with a slack Eweka back-pass releasing Sam Pearson through on goal, only to be denied by an onrushing Dan Lincoln, who brilliantly smothered the ball.

As the half progressed chances were plentiful, with Josh Jackman coming close to scoring on his 250th Slough appearance, his drive narrowly missing the top right corner. Thirty minutes in, Dyce was dragged down in the Yeovil box for what looked like a stonewall penalty, but the referee appeared uninterested, with Dyce forced to exit the field moments later because of the physical tackle, replaced by Munashe Sundire.

The second half started in a very different fashion than the first, with the hosts upping their game. Within four minutes they had opened the scoring, with the captain Matt Worthington being picked out at the back post from a Charlie Cooper cross, and he slotted the ball low past Dan Lincoln.

The 54th minute saw Yeovil score their second, with Jordan Young brilliantly finding the bottom right corner, beating Dan Bayliss and Jeanmal Prosper in the process.

Despite the goals from the hosts, the Rebels still looked alive in the tie, with Yeovil’s defence leaking chances.

The Rebels were offered a lifeline in the 70th minute, with Dan Bayliss firing in a wonderful strike from the edge of the box. Johnny Goddard found space on the right flank and delivered a wicked cross which was headed away but only as far away as the feet of Bayliss, whose powerful volleyed finish gave Day no chance.

Nathan Minhas came close to bringing Slough level, with the Slough number 9 almost poking home from a Jackman cross in the 73rd minute.

With the game firmly in the balance, the hosts delivered what proved to be the decisive blow with 10 minutes to go. The second Yeovil goalscorer, Young was played in behind the Slough defence with Prosper’s tackle on the attacker being deemed sufficient to award a penalty kick. Up stepped in-form striker Frank Nouble, who made no mistake with his finish from the spot in the 82nd minute, bringing an end to the competitive edge in the clash.

There was still time for the Rebels to threaten twice more, with Jackman seeing his effort blocked in the goalmouth in a scramble following a Lench free kick delivery, and shortly after that, another Lench set piece was headed across goal and narrowly wide by Minhas.

Next up for Slough Town is a return to Arbour Park, with a clash against 14th-placed Weston-super-Mare, with the Rebels looking to extend their unbeaten home streak.

Yeovil Town Lineup

Joe Day, Morgan Williams, Alex Whittle, Jake Wannell, Matt Worthington, Jordan Young, Dylan Morgan (Olly Thomas 66), Sonny Blu Lo-Everton, Charlie Cooper (Josh Owers 90+2), Sam Pearson (Jay Foulston 76), Frank Nouble. Unused substitutes: Jamie Sendles-White, Will Dawes, Jay Foulston.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024