Slough defeated in seven goal thriller at Welling

Welling United

Welling United

Abrahams (pen 12), Adom (23), Green (58), Curran (90+1)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Dyce (38), Eweka (50), Goddard (60)
League Attendance: 642
An unfortunate stoppage-time winner for Welling United condemned Slough Town to a disappointing defeat in a back-and-forth game, which either side could have won, writes Freddie Gatrell.

Scott Davies' men will have to dust themselves off and move on from yesterday's clash, as despite elements of bad luck being behind the manner of some of the Wings’ goals, there can be no doubt that the Slough defence will have to improve in future games.

The opening 10 minutes were keenly contested by both teams, with not much to separate the sides. Welling drove the ball deep into the Rebels' danger area, finding Jephte Tanga who was adjudged to have been fouled by Rebels captain Josh Jackman, who put in a last-ditch tackle which resulted in a penalty kick for the hosts. Tristan Abrahams calmly converted the penalty in the 12th minute.

This early goal appeared to unsettle the Rebels as just over 10 minutes later, the hosts found themselves two goals to the good. Temi Eweka was dispossessed, leaving Kain Adom bearing down on Luthra's goal, and the winger made no mistake with a composed finish.

This second goal seemed to awaken Slough from their slumber as the pendulum swung in favour of the Rebels, with good interplay stemming from Johnny Goddard causing the Welling defence all sorts of problems. This pressure was rewarded in the 39th minute after Goddard's long free kick was only partially cleared by the Welling defence, with the ball falling at the feet of Tyrese Dyce, who controlled superbly, bringing the ball onto his left foot before thrashing it past Javarn Pitterson in goal.

Mere moments later, the Rebels could have grabbed an equaliser before the half-time whistle, with Nathan Minhas and Dan Bayliss unable to squeeze the ball past Pitterson in an agonizing goalmouth scramble.

The half finished on a nervy note for the Rebels with Abrahams almost netting his second goal of the afternoon, with his effort flying narrowly wide – a major let-off for Scott Davies' men.

The second half began in a much more positive manner for Slough Town, with a succession of corners early in the half causing Danny Bloor's Welling side all sorts of problems. Eventually, an inviting corner was swung in, and Temi Eweka did enough to turn the ball home inside the six yard box, giving Pitterson no chance and restoring parity in a crazy game.

But that parity only lasted mere minutes, with Welling reacting the better of the two sides. Wings defender Cameron Green thrashed home from the edge of the Slough 18-yard box, with his strike ricocheting through a busy Slough penalty area, leaving Luthra with little chance of preventing the 58th-minute strike.

The Welling lead lasted no more than two minutes, with a foul around 25 yards from the Welling box resulting in a very presentable free-kick opportunity at Pitterson's goal. Johnny Goddard stepped up and tucked away the set piece in a brilliant fashion, with his curling effort nestling high into the top right corner.

The final 30 minutes were a back-and-forth affair, with chances from Welling coming very close to beating Luthra. Dan Bayliss' brave headed block prevented a shot on goal from Abrahams, and the same player went close minutes later, seeing his shot rebound against Luthra's crossbar.

Despite a triple substitution from Davies, with an injection of attacking Slough talent, the flow of Welling's attacks could not be stemmed. In stoppage time, the hosts found themselves with space and time at the back post deep in the Slough box, with the Slough defence unable to prevent a cross being stood up for the head of Taylor Curran five yards out from goal. Curran had the simple task of nodding the ball into the back of the net across Luthra. The Rebels' defence will be kicking themselves for the manner in which they conceded what proved to be the winning goal, with a total mix-up leaving Curran unmarked in the centre of the box.

The Rebels will now look forward to a Tuesday trip away at Grimsby Town in an Emirates FA Cup First Round replay under the lights at Blundell Park, where Davies' men will hope they can keep their cup run alive.

Welling United Lineup

Javarn Pitterson, Crossley Lema, Cameron Green, Taylor Curran, Tristan Abrahams, Dominic Odusanya (c) (TJ Bramble 57), Kain Adom, Amadou Kassarate, Jephte Tanga (Lewis White 73), Josh Chambers, Lachlan Byrd. Unused substitutes: Will Wood, Ibra Sekajja, Antony Papadopoulos.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024