Rebels held by Clarets in Arbour Park stalemate

Slough Town

Slough Town

Chelmsford City

Chelmsford City

League Attendance: 785 David Ogbonna
In what was a frustrating, rainy afternoon for the Rebels, neither side was able to break the deadlock, despite Slough's persistence, writes Freddie Gatrell.

The Rebels began the game well, crafting chances throughout the early periods of attacking play. Johnny Goddard found the time and space to cause Chelmsford's goalkeeper, Joshua Oluwayemi, plenty of problems.

A long ball played into the feet of George Alexander was expertly directed into Goddard's path, but his half-volley was well held by the Clarets keeper in the 7th minute. Goddard continued to test Oluwayemi, with the midfielder's long-range curler being well saved by the keeper at the half-hour mark.

The Rebels did show positive signs throughout the match, with David Ogbonna's lightning pace causing constant issues for the Chelmsford backline, but to little avail.

Rohan Luthra had a largely uneventful day in goal, with the Clarets not creating too many chances throughout the match. Luthra's first key test came in the 30th minute, where a wicked Jermaine Francis curler saw the Rebels' shot-stopper scramble across his goal, only for the effort to narrowly miss the top right corner.

Before the end of the first half, a direct Samir Carruthers free-kick was well held by the Slough number one, as it beat the Slough wall and dipped towards the bottom left corner.

Slough were fast out of the traps in the second half, with early chances falling to George Alexander, who saw his low drive well saved, and David Ogbonna, whose close-range volley from a whipped Goddard corner was narrowly cleared off the line by a Chelmsford defender, with Ogbonna's second attempt hitting the side-netting.

The biggest chance of the game from either side came courtesy of a Matt Lench free kick, which found the head of a rising Temi Eweka in the 68th minute, but his headed effort bounced off the crossbar and was cleared away by the Chelmsford defence.

The latter stages of the game were dominated by Slough, thanks to a second yellow card for Chelmsford's Luke Jenkins in the 75th minute. Jenkins' cynical foul on Ogbonna left the Rebels with a numerical advantage for the last 15 minutes.

But despite having more men on the pitch, the Rebels were unable to craft a winning goal, with the final unfortunate incident of the game seeing Temi Eweka penalised for a foul on substitute Freddie Hockey in front of the Chelmsford bench. Strong appeals from the sidelines appeared to persuade the referee to issue Eweka with his marching orders for a second bookable offence deep into stoppage time.

Regardless of the frustrating end, the Rebels are now unbeaten in 10 games in all competitions and will look forward to Tuesday's away trip to St Albans City. Scott Davies' side will be hoping for three points on the road and to continue the unbeaten streak.

Chelmsford City Lineup

Oluwayemi; Barnum-Bobb, James, Francis; Jenkins, Carruthers, Watts, Objero, Alfa (Ruff 56); Bettamer (Brookes), Jones (Hockey 74). Unused substitutes: Ebuzoeme, Castiglione.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024