Dyce hits winner as Rebels claim vital win



Altintop (52)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Alexander (12), Dyce (74)
League Attendance: 872
Goals from George Alexander and a late winner from defender Tyrese Dyce sealed the Rebels’ second win of the season, writes Freddie Gatrell.

A closely contested affair away at Dartford finished 2-1 in the Rebels’ favour, moving Slough up off the bottom of the National League South table.

The Rebels faced a stern task ahead of last night’s match, with the Kent based outfit winning seven of the last 13 meetings against Slough Town before yesterday’s game. Despite this, the Rebels began the first half largely on top, with the majority of the early minutes played in and around the hosts’ 18-yard box.

This early spell was soon rewarded for the Rebels, as no sooner than 12 minutes in, the first meaningful chance of the game fell at the feet of in-form striker George Alexander. He ran onto a perfectly weighted through ball from new loanee, Dom Hutchinson. Alexander still had a lot to do, but he finished with aplomb, as he calmly carved his way through the centre of the Dartford defence, rounded goalkeeper Mitchell Beeney and smashed the ball home for his fifth goal of the season.

Not satisfied with just one goal, the visiting Rebels continued to cause problems for the Dartford defence, with Alexander nearly scoring a second later on in the half, with a brilliant cross from the right wing landing swiftly at the feet of the young striker, who unfortunately fired his effort over the crossbar.

The Rebels continued to hold firm for the remainder of the first half, in what was a generally cagey and tight affair, with only a handful of meaningful chances coming close to testing Rohan Luthra in goal.

The beginning of the second half was a completely different story for the hosts, who came out clearly irritated by the events of the first 45 minutes. In what was an aggressive start to the second half, Dartford’s high press was eventually rewarded, as the ball fell to the feet of centre-half Baris Altintop in the 53rd minute, whose powerful drive managed to squeeze its way through a crowded 18-yard box and rattle in off the post.

The equaliser seemed to have galvanised the opposition, as they began to bombard the under-pressure Slough defence with relentless attacks. The Rebels remained steadfast and calm and weathered this period of pressure competently.

The Rebels’ calmer heads prevailed on the night, with their patience rewarded by consecutive corners late in the second half. The second of those corners was swung in purposefully by Matt Lench, with his ball met by a rising Tyrese Dyce, who caused a scramble in the centre of the Dartford box, with Dyce reacting first to smash the ball past Beeney in goal to make it 1-2 in the 74th minute, his first goal for the club, much to the delight of the travelling supporters.

The Rebels managed to calmly navigate the remainder of the match unscathed, with a nervy Slough support delighted to hear the referee blow the final whistle, after an agonising additional 8 minutes.

This result moves Scott Davies’ side up to 22nd place and in a much more positive position come Saturday’s fixture against top of the table Aveley at Arbour Park.

Dartford Lineup

Beeney, Golding, Altintop, Statham, Miller-Rodney, Rooney, Coulson, Wynter, Bradbury, Nembhard, Manor. Substitutes: Sheringham, Box, Wray, Diarra, Woods.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024