Next match

Team logo
Virginia Water (H)
Fri Jul 5

Next match

Team logo
Virginia Water (H)
Fri Jul 5 19:45
The Vanarama National League South

Slough Town

Slough Town

Denton (25), Speake (46, 68)


Those teams met before a moderate attendance at the Dolphin ground on Saturday. Hanwell were late in arriving and it was nearly quarter to three before the game commenced, the visitors even then only having ten men. Winning the toss, Slough took
advantage of the wind and defended the Uxbridge Road goal.

Play started fast and even, until Speake took the ball to the other end, and for fully five minutes Slough were pressing continuously. Smith got in some lovely centres, and from one of these a shot was put in that Sawyer just managed to turn round the post. The corner was finely placed, but the custodian got his fist to it, and Matthews started a movement which took the ball to the other end.

Twenty five minutes from the start Speake made a tricky run, and when tackled passed to Denton. His shot struck the underneath part of the cross bar and rebounded into the net.

Hanwell made several promising attacks, but the only dangerous shot came from Matthews. Pretty passing between Smith and Stewart led to a scrimmage in the Hanwell goal. Twice the ball was almost over the line, but Sawyer eventually managed to get it away.

Slough continued to have the best of the game, and Denton tried a low shot which Sawyer turned round the post. From the corner Watts and Elliott made a run along the left wing, and Elliott gave Werrell a fine shot to deal with.

In the closing minutes of this half Denton manoeuvred some capital openings for Speake, but Murphy and Jenner frustrated all the efforts of the Slough centre, and when ends were changed the score still read Slough 1 Hanwell 0.

There was a sensational start to the second half, as within a minute Slough had increased their lead. Smith ran the ball down the line and finished up with a well-judged centre. This Speake trapped and drove hard at Sawyer. The custodian stopped the ball, but before he could get it away Speake, who had followed his shot up, headed over Sawyer's head into the net.

Hanwell tried all they knew to reduce Slough's lead, the backs and halves frequently running through on their own. Murphy nearly did the trick with a shot that hit the bottom of the upright, and Werrell made one clever save from Elliott turning the shot round the post. This was followed by a determined attack by Slough. Sawyer got away hot drives from Poole and Steptoe, Denton had hard luck with a shot that hit the post and then went behind, and a stinger from Speake, the custodian nearly put through his own goal.

Half way through the second half Speake got on to a pass by Smith, and made the issue safe by scoring a third goal for Slough.

For the next few minutes West and Wilmot were kept very busy in keeping the visiting forwards in check, but the best they could do was to force a corner. After Denton had grazed the upright, Salisbury and Clark made a run and enabled Pearce to get right through. He seemed bound to score, but Werrell ran out and caused the Hanwell centre to shoot wide. In another persistent attack by Hanwell, Werrell brought off two marvellous saves when he appeared to be beaten, and Poole relieved the pressure by racing to the other and sending in a shot which Sawyer tipped over the cross-bar.

Hanwell were attacking when the whistle was blown with the score 3 to nil in Slough’s favour.

Hanwell Lineup

Sawyer; Murphy, Jenner; Matthews, Looseley, Lawrence; Salisbury, Clark, Pearce, Watts, Elliott.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024