Slough Town

Slough Town

Speake (50)


Kyle (1-1, 1-2)
Oxford Hosp. Cup
These teams met in the first round of the Oxford Hospital Cup competition at the Dolphin ground, on Saturday, before a fair attendance. The game was advertised to start at 2.15, and punctually at that hour the visitors were in readiness, though it had gone the half hour before the Slough men were ready.

The turf was in a greasy condition after the drenching rain of the previous day. In the first minute of the game Kyle ought to have scored from a pass by Shoesmith; he had an open goal, but missed his opportunity.

Just after the order was reversed and Shoesmith missed an easy chance from a pass by Kyle. A good shot by Salisbury was caught by Werrell and booted away, and the Slough forwards bolted away. The leather was quickly returned by the international and Werrell ran out to a long shot and fisted away.

It looked dangerous when the ball rebounded, but Leat averted disaster. Slough again took up the running and Luke got in a good shot which went a little to the left of the target. Smith also dropped in a beauty from the right, which Adams cleared. At the opposite end Kyle got through, but was well stopped by Wilmot. After a long shot by
Poole had been punched away, the Woking left cantered up the wing, and a couple of splendid shots at close range were well stopped by Werrell.

Slough then attacked strongly and a fine centre by Smith should have been improved on, but it was allowed to go begging. Kyle who was very energetic got going and was in a dangerous position when Wilmot checked his shot at the expense of a corner. From the place kick Bell tried a long shot which just skimmed the crossbar. Leat transferred the venue with a long kick and Smith improved the position with a run, finishing up with a spanking shot right across the goalmouth.

Just before half time there was an exciting tussle in the home lines. Werrell fell with the leather, but managed to throw it behind the goal and the corner kick proved futile. At half time the score sheet was a blank.

Slough started off the second half very strongly, Poole sending In a splendid straight shot which Adams caught and threw away. Slough pressed and Whiteman tried a long shot which the goalkeeper saved. Following a corner to Woking the home forwards initiated another attack and Luke essayed a shot which went the wrong side of the post.

Following some good foot work in the forward line, Luke put in another straight one and Speake endeavoured to bustle the goalkeeper into the net whilst in the act of clearing.

After ten minutes play Speake got possession of the ball in midfield and with three opponents at his heels he raced away and finished a splendid effort by beating Adams hands down.

This success was hailed with general acclamation. Even after this Slough continued to be aggressive and Smith shot by. On the other side Kyle got through in his characteristic style and passing to Hill, that player had a fine opening. Hesitation, however, beat him, for Werrell ran out and took the leather off his foot Smith, who was working hard for Slough, was responsible for another good run and centre, but Denton was to allowed to turn the effort to account.

Desmond and Smith, on the opposite wings, were cheered for a fine piece of play and Speake did his best to complete the work, but Adams upset their calculations. Then Johnson opened out the game for Woking, and Kyle shot straight into Werrell's hands. The latter player, however, equalised the score with a marvellous shot from a most difficult angle.

After this both sides seemed to settle down to sterling work and the ball travelled up and down at great speed. Smith tried a shot which Adams saved, as he did also when Luke headed in a pass from Steptoe. The homesters gained a corner, which was got away after a tussle.

Werrell checked a dangerous rush by the visitors, but just after, from a pass by Salisbury, Kyle put Woking ahead.

Directly after Smith almost equalised with a well judged shot which the custodian managed to turn over the bar, and a minute later Adams again saved at the expense of a corner. After this both sides pressed alternately. The homesters tried hard to equalise, but failed and thus Woking won by two goals to one.

Woking Lineup

J. C. Adams; H. C. Cartwright, A. H Bell; A. Teagan, J. B. Monk, H. J. Crane; C. Shoesmith, J. Kyle, R. Hill, T. J. Johnson, C. S. Salisbury.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024