Rebels narrowly defeated at Weymouth

Home Badge


Brooks (46)

Away Badge

Slough Town


Date: Tuesday, March 27th 2018 | Competition: League | Attendance: 822

Man Of Match: Jack Turner

Slough Town’s gruelling run of away games continued last night with a trip to fellow promotion hopefuls Weymouth, and the Rebels were narrowly defeated by the in-form Dorset side with Calvin Brooks grabbing the only goal of the game.

The Rebels were without three strikers for the long trip, with Chris Flood and Ben Harris injured and Manny Williams unavailable, leaving Perry Coles to lead the line supported by James Dobson and Warren Harris on the flanks. Slough were also denied the services of joint manager Jon Underwood through illness.

Guy Hollis and Lee Togwell returned to the starting line-up as Slough reshuffled, whereas Weymouth were able to name the same side which won 6-0 at Chesham the previous Saturday.

Ultimately the lack of firepower took its toll on the Rebels, who were unable to really test opposition goalkeeper Will Dennis over the 90 minutes.

Slough did force a number of corners early on, but these were repelled by Weymouth, and the hosts started to create chances.

Brooks fired over the bar after a weaving run from Ben Thomson on seven minutes, and moments later Jack Turner made a terrific double save to deny the league’s top scorer Brandon Goodship and then Thomson with the rebound.

Slough started to feel their way into the game but could only offer a Simon Dunn strike from outside the box which sailed over. Weymouth continued to offer the greater threat as Turner pulled off another good stop to keep out Thomson after beating George Wells to a high ball forward, whilst Goodship fired over the bar from the edge of the box.

The Rebels’ injury worries then increased with around half an hour played as Dunn was forced off with an apparent recurrence of his recent knee injury. Ashley Wells’ tackle on the Slough midfielder was fair, but Dunn felt the effects and was replaced by the returning Matt Lench despite trying to carry on.

The pivotal moment of the game arrived in the opening minute of the second half. Ben Thomson and Abdulai Baggie combined, with the latter crossing in to the box. Weymouth appealed for a penalty as Goodship hit the turf whilst trying to make a connection, and Slough claimed a foul on Guy Hollis – but Brooks ignored all the commotion and fired into the roof of the net to give Weymouth a deserved lead.

Despite enjoying good spells of possession, Slough struggled to find the right pass in the attacking third and Weymouth continued to press for a second goal. Goodship twice curled the ball wide of Turner’s goal with Slough largely forced back in their own half.

Slough remained in the game with only the single goal in it, and had one final chance as Dobson lined up a free kick in stoppage time, but the winger could only slam the ball into the defensive wall, much to the relief of the home side.

The result moves Weymouth a huge step closer to securing a playoff spot, whilst the Rebels will still be hopeful of doing the same with lots of football to be played.

Weymouth: Will Dennis, Ashley Wells, Callum Buckley, Stephane Zubar, Thiago Caze Da Silva, Josh Carmichael, Jake McCarthy (c), Abdulai Baggie, Ben Thomson, Brandon Goodship, Calvin Brooks (Charlie Davis 89). Unused substitutes: Gareth Stewart, Harry Baker, Tiago Sa, Josh Wakefield.

The Vanarama National League South Vanarama Motorama

Saturday, 16th February

vs Dartford

Draw 2-2 (Home)

+ View Report

+ League Table

Club Badge

League Table [Full Stats]

Pos Team Pld Pts
10 St Albans City 30 45
11 Chippenham Town 31 45
12 Slough Town 31 41
13 Hemel Hempstead Town 29 39
14 Oxford City 30 38

Top Goalscorers [Full Stats]

Pos Name Goals
1 Ben Harris 12
2 Chris Flood 7
3 Warren Harris 3
4 Louie Soares 3
5 Sam Togwell 2
Slough Town FC Online sponsorship opportunities

Slough Town FC Squad

Follow Slough Town FC